item12a
item2a
item2
item6
item7
item8
item9
item13
item1
item14
item1a
item3

Friday, February 19, 2010

Regarding noisy trains

A recent letter to the editor of our local newspaper that has lessons for far more issues than just a noisy train...


“Be careful what you pray for, you just might get it!” is a phrase that comes to mind in the midst of the outcry over the current railroad whistle-gate.

Shortly after moving to our fair city 12 years ago, I heard a presentation from a prominent citizen regarding the benefits of having train service. I scoffed at the idea and questioned the sanity of any corporation that would pay (at that time) close to $1 million a mile to restore rail service.

Fast forward through the years and let the celebrations begin! The efforts were successful and we have restored rail service. What an amazing accomplishment! Except for that annoying whistle that is a legally mandated part of having rail service!

Did anyone not realize or have the foresight to know that with the positive features of having rail service would come the bonus of waiting for trains at their crossings and whistles at all hours? Did those who wanted rail service assume that the trains would run quietly through town at a convenient time when no one would be bothered? The truth is that with progress comes change and with change comes some inconvenience.

I grew up in a town that had not just one train track running through it, but several. My boyhood home still sits three blocks off the tracks. My current residence is three blocks off the track. I hardly notice the whistles and the trains seldom inconvenience me. I suppose I’ve adapted to the change.

My suggestion is that those who are vexed by the noise of the train to do the same. Perhaps ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones could become a fashion statement? Do they come in Ricebird Red?

With tongue firmly in cheek, I am,

Rev. Keith Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Odessa, Texas, United States
Husband, Father, Grandfather, Christian, Minister, One of the Good Guys!